Gar, Longnose SNOOK99

Photo: 

Species:

Location: 
Everglades, FL

Comments

TonyS's picture

FYI - this is a Florida Gar, not a Longnose.  Snout isn't long and skinny enough - plus (I think) there are no Longnose that far south in Florida

Dr Flathead's picture

There are Longnose in the Sarasota area, mainly the Myakka River.  Could be a hybrid Florida/Longnose, but if it was caught in the Glades, its probably most likely a purebread Florida Gar.

TonyS's picture

supposedly Lake Okeechobee is the southern cut-off for Longnose in Florida.  Based on that Saraota is in Longnose territory and the 'Glades are outside it.  

This gar was 40'' long and probably more than ten pounds.  This gar was caught in northeast of the Everglades.  Occassionally, anglers have caught longnose gar in this area.  Here's another picture of the same gar.  I hope you guys know what kind of gar this is.

 

TonyS's picture

I'd put the pic in the main forum and ask there to get more traffic.  There are people on the site who would be better for IDing Florida v. Longnose.  The fish doesn't quite look right for either species to me.  Are both pics the same individual?  I'm leaning towards a hybrid looking at now. 

I sent  this photo to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and they confirmed this is a longnose gar.

Here's their replied:

Hello Mr. Li,

Your fish is a Longnose Gar, uncommon south of Lake Okeechobee. We see them only occasionally when sampling--I would say that Longnose make up less than 1% of the gar we sample in southeast Florida (the other 99% are Florida gar, quite abundant). You can find out more about this species in the attached newsletter. Note that the elongated snout becomes less pronounced in larger individuals, looking more like a Florida Gar's snout. This seems to be especially true of Longnose Gar that are found in brackish water. So, although the snout on your specimen may not seem quite as long and narrow as that in the illustration, a Longnose Gar is what you are holding.

This should answer your question, but if you have more, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

John Cimbaro
Biological Scientist III
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
561-625-5122, Ext. 123
 

TonyS's picture

cool, thanks for the update.  Looks tons different than the longnose we see in the upper mississippi river (MN/WI).  Not hard for a species to vary in close locations though, much less waters over a 1,000 miles apart.  LN Gar all over the south seem to have a bigger girth for a given length too - relative to up here on the northern fringe.